Quick Candied Cherries
Ingredients for quick candied cherries:
- 1 pound (450 g) fresh sweet or sour cherries, rinsed, de-stemmed, and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions for quick candied cherries:
1. In a large non-reactive saucepan (at least 4 quarts/liters) bring the cherries, water, sugar, and lemon juice to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat so the cherries are cooking at a low rolling boil. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently during the last 10 minutes of cooking to make sure the cherries are cooking evenly and not sticking.
3. Once the syrup is mostly reduced and a brilliant ruby-color, similar to the consistency of maple syrup, remove the pan from the heat and cool the cherries to room temperature.