Poached-Pear Cherry Almond Tart
- 6 ounces (170 g) almond paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3 ounces (85 g) butter, unsalted, cubed, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, plus one egg white, at room temperature
- A few drops almond extract, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum, Calvados, or kirsch (I use kirsch)
- About 3 poached pears, cored, cut into 1/2-inch (2 cm) slices, drained, and blotted dry (see recipe below)
- One pre-baked 9-inch (23 cm) tart shell, at room temperature (see recipe below)
- Candied cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 375F (180C).
2. In a stand mixer, or by hand, beat the almond paste with the sugar and flour, until smooth. If the paste is very dry, just mix until the crumbs are even in size.
3. Gradually beat in the butter, until smooth, then beat in the egg and the egg white, the almond extract, and the liquor.
4. Spread the almond filling evenly over the tart shell.
5. Embed 25 candied cherries, sweet or sour, into the almond paste.
6. Fan the pears out evenly over the almond filling, then press them in slightly.
7. Bake the tart for about 35-40 minutes, or until the almond filling between the pears has browned.
8. Cool slightly before serving, or serve at room temperature.
9. Glaze with the syrup from the poached pears using a silicone brush.